Because Baking is Creative: Homemade Applesauce

[appsauce2.jpg]

For my birthday this year a dear friend gave me a slow cooker, and ever since I untied the bow of the wrapping I've been scouring the internet and cookbook shelf for slow cooker recipes. I think it's genius that you can throw a few ingredients in a pot and come back 6 hours later to a meal! (I've even found a few dessert recipes I plan to try!)

This weekend I made applesauce with my new slow cooker. It was AMAZING. I picked up 10 organic apples from the baker's bin (a.k.a visually distressed) at the apple stand at our farmer's market for less than $2. Then I peeled, cored and sliced the apples, tossed them into the slow cooker, added 1/2 cup of water and set on low for 5 hours...stirred a few times, then, voila! incredible applesauce. No sugar or cinnamon, just apples. It lasted less than 24 hours in our house. I plan to make it again tomorrow.

[appsauce3.jpg]
[appsauce4.jpg]

Have any slow cooker recipes to share? E mail me here.

Liane Duffy  – (March 15, 2010 at 10:36 AM)  

Yum. Your photos are so beautiful . . I can practically taste it.

j  – (March 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM)  

Did you eat it warm, or let it cool down?

Kara  – (March 16, 2010 at 10:48 AM)  

Hey I used my slow cooker yesterday too! Mine was probably not very health though. Looks yummy. You know food photography is big business!

Cathy  – (March 16, 2010 at 1:10 PM)  

Wow, this looks delicious ... I might have to pull our slow cooker down from the top shelf! How did you remove the cores ... before or after?

Post a Comment