Because Baking is Creative

[baking.jpg]

Baking is fascinating to me because you can make something so delicious--and pretty--from things that aren't so delicious and pretty by themselves. I love to bake. And I love my tangerine orange KitchenAid mixer. As much as I love to bake, I think it's dangerous to keep the finished product in the house, so I make sure that anytime I bake there's some function or person to which to donate my delicious creations. In this case, it was various Labor Day parties.

I admit, I usually make chocolate chip cookies from the recipe on the back of the bag of chocolate chips, but when my friend Lauren brought these to a party once, I decided I must have the recipe...and now I'll share with you.

[baking2.jpg]

Dark Chocolate Chip, Coconut and Oatmeal Cookies
(I suppose I could make up a name for these!)

1 cup butter, room temp.
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 T milk
2 t vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 1/2 cups oats (rolled or quick, but not instant)
2 cups dark chocolate chips (also fun to add peanut butter chips here)
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars until mixture is light in color. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the milk and vanilla.
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Either by hand or with the mixer on low speed, gradually beat the flour into the sugar mixture until just incorporated.
Stir in the oats and chocolate chips and coconut by hand.
Drop 1-inch balls of dough onto the cookie sheet, placing about 1 1/2 inches apart so they have room to spread.
Bake at 350 F for 10-13 minutes, until golden brown at the edges and light golden at the center.
Cool on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Post a Comment