One of My Favorite Tools: The Bone Folder

[bone1.jpg]

What exactly is a bone folder you ask? Let me enlighten you...

A bone folder is a tool used in paper crafts for folding, scoring and burnishing. Yes, it's made of bone (sorry to you veggies out there), typically of deer or elk. Bone is an ideal material because it is sturdy, smooth and grainless.

[bone2.jpg]

For scoring, the edges of some bone folders are sharp enough to score paper. After scoring, comes folding. For folding the straight edge of a bone folder also makes it ideal as a paper folding aid. The crafter can hold the bone folder against a scored line and fold the paper along its edge. The pointed end of a bone folder can also be used to square off a corner from within the folded area. Many crafters use a bone folder as a means of giving a folded page a more professional-looking crease. The friction between a finger and paper may create problems over time, but a bone folder's smooth surface can be drawn across the fold time and time again. The bone material allows the crafter to apply constant pressure while finishing a crease.

janicegoeswest  – (August 28, 2009 at 11:27 AM)  

Can I find this just at a Hobby Lobby or something similar, or does this require finding a specialized shop of some sort? I live in west Texas. I'm lucky to have a Hobby Lobby! :P

Leslie  – (August 28, 2009 at 12:02 PM)  

J- good question. I recall buying mine back in college at an architecture supply store, but I would think they'd be available in the paper/scrapbooking section at a store like Hobby Lobby. Good luck!

elizabeth  – (September 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM)  

I think I got mine at a Michael's (a probable cousin of this Hobby Lobby you speak of) but I've also seen them at art stores if you just can't wait to get your brand new bone folder shipped from an online retailer like Paper Source (http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/kits/paper-crafting-tools.html -- Teflon folders available for the philosophically opposed)...

Nicholas  – (September 22, 2009 at 4:40 PM)  

Good ole Texas Art Supply in Houston. I think my finger tips will definitely thank me during my next modular origami project... whenever that may happen

Leslie  – (September 22, 2009 at 4:45 PM)  

Nick, yes they WILL thank you! This would be perfect for origami!

Post a Comment