That lemon mint cake reignited my affinity for lemony treats, and our lemon tree is just as fruitful as ever, so I've been scouring books and blogs for new lemon recipes. I stumbled upon this one a couple of weeks ago and happened to have all ingredients on hand. It's a fresh take on the classic sugar cookie and sure to please....Have any fun lemon recipes to share? Do share in the comment section.
Lemon-Coconut Sugar Cookies
(yields about 3 dozen cookies)
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Zest of 2 large lemons
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large egg
4 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies
Zest of one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, coconut and salt; Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the lemon zest and sugar. Using your fingertips, run the zest into the sugar until the sugar becomes moist and aromatic. Set the bowl aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter just until smooth. Add the lemon sugar mixture and beat until creamy.
- Add the egg and lemon juice. Mix to combine.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture. Beat only until the streaks of white have disappeared. Turn off the mixer and, using a rubber spatula, give the dough a few more turns.
- Cover and refrigerate while you prepare the rolling ingredients.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Using the same technique that you used for the dough, rub the zest into the sugar.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and, using a rounded tablespoon per cookie, roll the dough into balls. Roll each ball into the lemon sugar mixture to coat.
- Leaving about 2-inches between each one, place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to turn brown. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to rest on the sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.