How Our Garden Grows: Carrots



Ever since we planted our carrot seedlings, I've looked forward to the day that I could pull a fresh carrot out of the ground and bite into it (after a good washing, of course.) The day has come, my friends...but it seems our carrots aren't the prettiest of carrots (yes, what you see above is a carrot!). Since planting them, I've learned a thing or two about thinning and watering, but nonetheless these carrots taste amazing. When my mom saw that I had planted carrots, she warned me that I would never be able to go back to store-bought carrots again. It's true. Right out of the garden they are so fresh and so sweet...delicious.

I'm going to work on making my carrots look more like, well, carrots. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and happy July!

Rose white  – (July 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM)  

Carrots prefer a light soil which has been improved with lots of well-rotted organic material fully dug into the soil. Carrots grown on heavy soil, or where organic material is not well-rotted, will become misshapen and grow 'forked. Stones in the soil will have the same bad effect. They are perfect planted in containers or raise beds. Good luck!

Post a Comment