When Life Gives You Lemons... Make Lemon Jelly for your Friends



As you may have noticed, I love to make gifts. And as you also may have noticed, I have an excess of lemons. So...lemony gifts = lemon jelly! This was my first attempt at making jelly. After a few recipe trials and errors, and with the help my experienced mother-in-law and our Jack Lalanne power juicer I made lemon jelly!



I had a bit of extra fabric from Ikea from a table cloth I made, and it was perfect to top the jars. I designed a little label and attached it with rafia, and ta da, handmade and homemade Christmas gifts! And tasty, too.


Lemon Jelly

4 cups filtered lemon juice, or juice with an electric juicer that removes most of the pulp and seeds
7 cups sugar
2 (3 oz) pouches liquid pectin

In an 8-qt stainless steel pan, over medium high heat, heat the juice until warm. Add the sugar and heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved.(This is a slow process but necessary.) Increase the heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in the entire contents of both pectin pouches. Return the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat.

Quickly skim off any foam and immediately ladle the hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe there jar rims and threads and apply screw rings. Process half-pint jars in a 200 degree water bath for 10 minutes, pint jars for 15 minutes.

Yield: 7 to 8 half-pint jars

Post a Comment